I'm So Over Long Hair

source
soutce




















It might just be me but is any one else tired of constantly talking about length and how to achieve it? all the natural hair blog's I've read (this one included) talk about achieving length, go on length challenges, protective styling challenges etc.

The past year has taught me that I suck at sticking with hair challenges because they bore me. My hair is my only channel of creative or artistic expression. I can't draw, play music or write creative pieces. Wearing my hair out is how I express myself and I refuse to chain my creativity for the sake of
length.
during one of my trims (while I was on hiatus) I took off 1.5 inches and it felt liberating. It was totally and completely against my goal of reaching BSL by the end of the year and a surefire way not to reach that goal, but I did it all the same.

I know my hair grows, I've seen it grow, but do I really want it that long? I'm not even sure what I'd do with it if it got that long.
A big part of it, for me was realising that my length challenge was more of a reaction to other naturals than an honest desire of my own. I do think it would be nice to see what I would look like with BSL, WL or longer hair, but... it's so boring waiting for hair to grow! I think from now on I'll just enjoy my hair.

Even at my most scissor reliant hand in hair never protective style wearing worst I achieved growth. It was slow, but it was growth and I can live with slow growth. I want to enjoy every moment of my hair journey and protective styling and length challenges just aren't enjoyable at the moment. Maybe some day I'll do another challenge, just not anytime soon.

Comments