Finally! Some Progress on My 2012 Hair Goals

Yeah I know, I know, after all that talk about how I suck at new years resolutions and how I want to take a revolutionary approach to this year with goals I haven't done much about them. I was supposed to get my hair straightened back in Feb so I could accurately measure my hair and get a head start on Goal 2: seeing how much my hair grows. I didn't do it, I also didn't measure my hair. I don't have a good reason why, so I won't even try to explain.
I am happy to announce that as of last Saturday, I have measurements for my hair. There were a few surprises but I'm pretty impressed with the fact that I finally did it and it wasn't that difficult.

How I Did It
The how of this procedure was very simple I took pieces of my semi-stretched hair, stretched it (gently) and
measured with a soft tape measure. I took five measurements, the back, front, middle and left and right sides. At the back I took hair right from middle at the nape of my neck, in the front I used my widows peak, on the sides I took hair from just above my ear. These measurements should be easy to replicate, the middle on the other hand might not be. I tried to feel for the center of my head and grab hair from there, but I'm not sure I'll be able to grab the exact same little bunch of hairs next time.


The Measurements
Back: 21.5 cm (8.46 inches)
Middle: 23.5 cm (9.25 inches)
Front: 22 cm (8.66 inches)
L. Side: 21.5 cm (8.46 inches)
R. Side: 21.5 cm (8.46 inches)

The Surprises
Surprise number one was that my hair is pretty much the same length all around. I've always thought the hair at the front of my head (around my face to just before my ears) was the longest followed by the hair at the back with the shortest being right in the middle. The only real difference between the shortest hair on my head and the longest is two centimeters.
Surprise number two is the location of the longest hair on my head. I've always had the most trouble stretching the hair in the middle of my head and assumed it was the shortest. Turns out, it just has the most shrinkage. I think the fact that the hair was already semi-stretched and dry contributed to my being able to finally see how long it actually is.

Comments