Corporate Naturals

I was recently doing my usual random perusal of natural hair articles and I came accross the following one.

By Claudia Morales
(CNN) -- Her black, female, co-workers pressured her to re-consider, but Ivy Grant, an associate partner in a marketing consulting firm decided to make the transition from her processed straight hair, to her naturally textured hair twelve years ago, and has no regrets.
"Everyone has this fear that you're not going to be accepted in the work place with this kind of hair," Grant said referring to her curly afro.
On the other hand, financial executive Michele Chowtai is only eight months into the transition process, and says she is still not sure if she will go "fully natural." She fears
there is a negative stigma she can't avoid and wonders, "How am I going to be perceived in the work place after I go completely natural?" More and more black women are grappling with these decisions. The percentage that say they do not use chemical products to straighten or relax their hair increased to 36% in 2011, up from 26% in 2010, according to a report by Mintel, a market intelligence firm.




I know that the debate on whether or not natural hair is formal or suitable for the office isn't new but I felt the need to say something. Honestly, I'm geting kinda tired of reading stuff about whether or not it's "appropriate". So much so that even writing this is filling me with a sense of lethargy. My personal opinion is that it's not the state of your hair, but the way you wear it that makes it formal/appropriate. I would feel more comfortable investing money with some one with a neat afro or styled natural hair than I will ever with someone sporting a ble and pink weave. Extreme example I know, but you get my point right?  Anyway, for the full article go here

Comments