Challenge Accepted: Protective Styling Has Begun!

My protective styling stint has started! Not because I wanted it to but because it's kind of convenient at the moment. I recently started a new job which is more formal than the last one I was at before. I wore my hair in a braid out last Monday and got a few side eyes and a lot of conspicuous avoidances. You know the looks at your hair with a raised eyebrow/pursed lips then the rest of the conversation is spent with the other person avoiding looking at it again? Any way, on Tuesday my hair was in a bun and it stayed that way for the rest of the week. Over the week end I decided to thread my hair to keep it stretched till I put it back in a bun for work. This way my hair is in a protected state all week.


I like the results I got with the threading. My hair is much
more stretched than with either a braid out or a twist out. It looks like a low temperature blow out,detangled and straight. Unfortunately, this also means it has no curl at all,not even the slightest kink remained. This isn't a problem for the bun I'm currently wearing but wouldn't be ideal for my usual styles that incorporate texture. Threading has recently become very popular in the West where they're calling it "African threading". I'm a bit tired at the moment so I will write up a post explaining exactly what threading is and how to do it some time in the future.

The reason I wanted to spend six whole months with my hair in protective styles was mainly to curb my scissor obsession and my habit of constantly playing with my hair. Both of these things are probably major factors in my lack of length retention over the past year or so. The scissors are pretty much self explanatory, I used to "trim/dust my ends as often as every three weeks. As soon as I saw anything that looked like a split-end or anytime I got bored, out came the scissors. I didn't realize how bad it was until my sister asked me why I cut my hair every month. Touching hair repeatedly can lead to breakage, but I digress.

six months is a very long time and now I was initially a bit scared that I wouldn't be able to last six months without the ability ot touch or see my real hair. Bunning is definitely a style I'll continue to wear during my protective styling stint. I don't think I'll do six months back to back but they will add up to 26 weeks total. so far I've done one week with the bun and I plan to keep it up till next month.

I know no one ever answers questions but does any one have suggestions for other protective styles i can try out?

Comments