Conspicuous Confusion on Zimfashionista

In my search for interesting things to post I found this article on Zimfashionista. I seriously don't know what to say about it. I get the idea that this person was trying to make natural hair seem like a good thing but at the same time I sense a dislike of natural hair in the authors tone. You can find the full article here
My Journey from relaxed hair to natural hair

Every paragraph after she calls herself a recovering relaxer addict and gives her back story on her relaxed days and her first attempt at going natural begins with a negative statement about natural hair.

"What’s even more challenging than all the pessimists is maintaining my newly natural hair!"

"The transition from relaxed to natural hair has been a series of ups and downs."

"...natural hair requires a lot of effort."

"Hair that’s undergoing such a transition back to its natural state is difficult..."


"Even though it’s not easy to maintain..."
Now I know that very few people have an easy time when they first go natural and are often disappointed when they get the results they expected.  I'm never offended or put off when I read articles/view videos where people explain why they went back to relaxers, it's their hair, their choice. I generally try to encourage those who openly talk about second guessing their decision after a BC or while transitioning. However, the amount of negativity that starting each paragraph with such statements gives the entire article is just depressing (to me).
Then Tsungai (the writer) ends with this gem of a statement
"I’m only halfway through my natural hair journey but the destination is in sight, so I’m going to enjoy the ride."

The tiny glimmers of enthusiasm that appear in the article just aren't enough to convince me that she's actually happy to be natural and are shot to pieces by that statement at the end. I have no issue with people who go natural with the intention of strengthening their hair to go back to relaxers. The thing is though, none of the women I've seen do this actually ever learn how to take care of their hair when it's relaxed. They end up lapsing into this natural for a while, relaxed till it breaks off, then natural again cycle. In my opinion these are the people who give credence to the myth that relaxed hair grows faster than relaxed. Just 'cuz they can't be a**ed to take care of their relaxed hair. What's wrong with just having healthy hair regardless of whether it's relaxed, texurized or natural?

I want to call this article/post poorly written but then again, I doubt that the writer grew up with an author and English teacher for a father. I doubt she knows that the first sentence of the paragraph sets a tone for it and affects the tone of the whole article. I also think this article is a glimpse into the conflicted mind of a natural who's still trying to figure out her hair but doesn't know how to express it. I can't tell if she's trying to warn people that going natural is difficult and worth it or difficult and should be thought though more.

Now that I've calmed down I can't even remember what my original objection to this article is any more. I do have some questions for you though.

1. Am I crazy? (optional lol)
2. Are confused naturals good or bad for your morale?
3. What do you think of people who go natural to strengthen their hair and go back to relaxers?

Comments

  1. I read the article and found it more honest than negative; if I'm completely honest I must say your article sounds quite negative and critical itself! But to each their own viewpoint, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote that a while back and now that I've had a chance to look at it again, I agree, I was a bit harsh and critical.
      That doesn't mean my opinion changes though. I still feel the article/post could have been better written and that the writer came off as confused and unsure of what point they were trying to get across.

      Delete

Post a Comment