Hair Goals for 2012

Credit


The new year is steadily approaching and I know a lot of people will be setting New Year's Resolutions. I personally stopped setting resolutions way back a long long time ago. I pretty much suck at keeping them. If I had, by now I'd be speaking Spanish, Portuguese and Mandarin Chinese.... I don't. Instead of setting hair resolutions for the New Year I've decided to set SMART Goals. I got the following from Good Hair Diaries, you should also check out
her hair Goals.

 S = Specific
 M = Measurable
 A = Attainable
 R = Realistic
 T = Timely
 Specific - If you can answer the What, Why & How questions for your goal, then it is specific. Setting a goal of healthier hair is not specific. Setting a goal of a thicker hairline and thicker edges is specific!
  Measurable - Establish concrete criteria for measuring progress toward the attainment of each goal you set. When you measure your progress, you stay on track, reach your target dates, and experience the exhilaration of achievement that spurs you on to continued effort required to reach your goals. If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.
 Attainable - Goals you set which are too far out of your reach, you probably won’t commit to doing. Although you may start with the best of intentions, the knowledge that it’s too much for you means your subconscious will keep reminding you of this fact and will stop you from even giving it your best.
Realistic - Realistic, in this case, means “do-able.” You are not going to grow your hair to waist length in one year if you are currently at Nape length. Hair only grows 15cm (6inches) a year, so let's be realistic here.
Timely - If you don’t set a time, the commitment is too vague. It tends not to happen because you feel you can start at any time. Without a time limit, there’s no urgency to start taking action now.

So After all that, here are my SMART goals for 2012

1. Grow my hair to Bra Strap Length (BSL). Since my trim I'm now about 1/2 an inch above Arm Pit Length (APL) if my hair grows the average 1/2 an inch (1.25cm) a month by December I should be able to achieve BSL. If you haven't checked out my post on hair lengths and measurement check it out here.
I will achieve this by reigning in my scissors and only trimming when necessary and wearing protective styles for 6 months of the year. I'll also be doing length checks every 12 weeks to see if I'm on track.

2. Find out how fast my hair actually grows. I know average growth for black hair is 1/2 an inch a month, but because it's an average my actual growth could either be more (I hope) or less than 1/2 an inch a month. knowing how fast my hair grows will allow me to better set realistic goals. This will be accomplished with the 12 week length checks.

3. Learn more hair styles. That's pretty self explanatory, I will watch more YouTube videos and practice, practice, practice!


Please let me know what your SMART Hair Goals are for 2012

Comments